Sunday, September 1, 2013

A change of perspective brings new light.

     Like most people, I had little understanding of how to relate to difficult situations as an adult. This blog is my attempt to document learning how to live a more positive life than the one my parents unintentionally passed on.  Of course they were loving and caring to the best of their ability. However, they were depressed and reactive. Life has a way of pulling things out of you when different people become involved. We tend to take on "Roles" of past experiences without even being aware of the shift. I could not shake the feeling that life had to be better than this. I had obviously taken a wring turn. My life seemed completely out of control and nothing resembling my idea of happy or good, with the exception of my son. At my wits end, I asked a co-worker who helped me discover the Self Improvement section of the local book store. Usually writing down titles that looked promising, then checking them out at the library. I realized if I didn't do something soon, I would be teaching my son the very same bad habits.


     I started with the most important thing, an open mind and the courage to expose myself to the light of other perspectives. Thankfully, I had friends who were not afraid of telling me the truth. And the beginning was hard to hear and harder to comprehend. They told me I was creating the drama in my life. Drama? Me? I hate drama... How could this be my fault? Turns out, they were right. Of course I felt defensive and started to place blame.  Ultimately, I came to understand its not who is to blame. The real question is: Who is responsible for keeping the whole thing going?  Good or bad, the answer is we are. Individually and absolutely. We are in charge of our misery and/or our joy. Its all about choice.

     What a novel idea, if you don't like what is happening choose something different. I picked joy. As the category self improvement implies. To improve your circumstance. Its not a easy as one might think. There are multiple things at play to create the environment you live in. So, fair warning, new rules are about to apply and letting go of bad habits in your life, which includes some people, is part of the process.

     This is my self improvement trial run still in progress.. here's hoping someone else may find it helpful.

Royal TX

No comments:

Post a Comment